It’s probably obvious…that Chinese inspired meals are my go-to menu most nights. I just can’t seem to help myself. It’s normally pretty fast to whip up and tastes like Five-Spiced nectar of the gods. And it’s also a fantastic way to use up extra veggies in the fridge when staring at ANOTHER broccoli dish. No offense, Broccoli.
This dish is simple to make, even if you’re not very familiar with cooking your own takeout. The most time you’re going to spend is on slicing up the chicken, but with the right knife that prepping task is only about 10 minutes. The broccoli is sliced in just a minute or two, and if you’ve bought pre-shredded carrots, you’re just measuring them out. The green onions are optional. Total meal prep and cook time is around 35-45 minutes. Not too shabby.
I like serving mine over brown rice, but you can totally serve it over anything you’ve got in the pantry. Heck, I even suggest stopping by your local Chinese takeout place and grabbing some steamed rice on the way home. It’s usually super inexpensive and cuts down on one more step. Sometimes saving yourself a few extra minutes is EXACTLY what you need during the crazy work week.
Here’s what you’ll need to make some good homemade chicken and broccoli tonight:
Easy Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Takeout Recipe
For the chicken:
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless breast or tenders
- 2 TBSP white wine
- 2 TBSP liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 2 TBSP ground ginger
- 1/2 TBSP five spice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP vinegar
- 1 TBSP sriracha
- 1/3 cup liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 TBSP brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp garlic chili paste
- 1/2 TBSP garlic powder
For the veggies:
- 1 or 2 heads of broccoli
- 1/2 shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Get your sauce ready by mixing all ingredients together in a bowl, then add to a skillet and bring to a slow boil on medium heat.
- Once the sauce is bubbling all over remove it back to the bowl you mixed it in and let it thicken.
- Add oil to skillet and keep on medium heat.
- Cut broccoli up and steam in a separate pot.
- Cut chicken into 1/4 slices (or to your preference) and place in bowl with white wine. Let sit for at least ten minutes.
- Toss chicken into skillet with hot oil and cook in batches. (Takes about 2 mins per side.) Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add carrots and green onions and extra oil (if needed) to same skillet and cook until desired doneness. (I cooked mine on medium-high heat for 8 minutes, stirring, then added a few tablespoons of water to steam them for 2 minutes.)
- Toss in steamed broccoli.
- Add sauce to skillet with veggies, coating everything evenly, then toss in chicken and stir for an additional minute.
- Serve over white or brown rice and enjoy!
All recipes and picture rights reserved by Kerri Maniscalco unless stated otherwise.